Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Top 5 Tuesday: TBR Shame

Another Tuesday, another Top 5 Tuesday. This week I have chosen "TBR Shame" as my topic, meaning that these five books have been sitting on my "to be read" list forever, but I have never gotten around to them. Not only that, but I am also ashamed to never have read these books. Let's get started!

5. The Giver by Lois Lowry

I am fairly certain that The Giver has been assigned reading for nearly everyone at some point during school, but not me. Because of this I feel like I'm the only one left who has never read this! I only found out recently that it is dystopian and the first novel of a series. I always assumed it was some dull book about an old man with a boring plot that was written purely to teach kids of some moral lesson (I think I got this impression just based on the cover). Since this book is commonly said to be a book everyone should read, I will definitely have to pick it up sometime, even if it's not in a classroom setting.






4. The Host by Stephenie Meyer

I would not normally be ashamed for not reading this, except for the fact that I've owned it for five years! When I was in middle school everyone read this book right after they finished Twilight, so naturally I had to get this book. My mom picked it up for me at a church rummage sale for $5 and I immediately started to read it. I got about 50 pages in a stopped and have not touched it since (I even still have the bookmark in there). For some reason I just could not get interested in this story. To make matters worse, I saw the movie and enjoyed it, but still do not want to read the book anymore.









3. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones has been on my TBR list since I first heard about it back in 2012. At first I was not in any hurry to read it especially since I knew more books in the series would be released later. But lately no matter where I look in the book loving community, someone is raving about it. It seems like everyone has read this book and is in love. As much as I think I would like City of Bones, I don't think I will be picking it up anytime soon. It looks like it will just have to get comfy on my TBR for awhile.








2. Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair, & The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis

Naturally I would not be ashamed to say I haven't read these books, but considering I have owned them for 8 years now, it's pretty disappointing. I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in fourth grade right before the movie came out and fell in love with it. I then read The Magician's Nephew and only read The Horse and His Boy and Prince Caspian within the past few years. I don't know why I haven't just sat down and read these books yet since they are such short, enjoyable reads. I could easily read one of these in a single day, but every time I start one, I get distracted or disinterested. It always takes me a little while to get started with these books, which is probably my problem. I will make goal to read these either next summer or over Christmas break. Fingers crossed.

1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy/The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkein

The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit are my most shameful books on my TBR list. I have seen the movies and love them (I'm not a huge, obsessive fan, but I just generally enjoy them) and have been wanting to read these books forever! I have only heard good things about these books and I genuinely think I would enjoy them. The only thing that is setting me back from reading these books is that I don't own them. I really hope to buy these books soon!

Those are my top five books this week, but this time I would like to include an honorable mention: Hoot by Karl Hiaasen. I've had this book ever since I was in third grade and it was the most popular book among my class at the time. Every time I look at my bookshelf and see this book, I remember how much of a loser I was for not liking this book. I started to read it maybe five times, but never liked it. Now I just keep it because it adds a pretty pop of color to my bookshelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird